Saturday, April 9, 2011

Learn to "Let It Be"



Yoga: a derivative from the Sanskrit word yogic literally meaning "to unite."

I thought about this after my daily practice today, and I'm finding that this practice is not only one that grounds you, but one that sets you free. Yoga is meant to unite body and mind while simultaneously quieting it, and I think every single human being on this planet could use a little yoga.

One of the main things I've always liked about yoga is that even in the difficult postures, we are required to reach within and find the strength to hold on through the pose; We must find strength and comfort in each pose to reap the full benefits. The more I think about this, the more I see it applies to life in general. In yoga, you push yourself through a pose and also try to relax in it so that you can increase your mental and physical strength, but shouldn't we apply this philosophy to other areas of our life as well? The first real-life  example that comes to mind is that less-than-pleasant job we all have or have had. My current job is only temporary, and I know that, however, I can't help but sometimes feel that this job will be the rest of my life, even though I know this isn't true. However, I've realized something tonight: I have to push through and find it in myself to relax and let things be for the time being in order to get to a better place.

In adopting this philosophy I believe that I will be able to be at peace with my life as it is currently. I have to accept that although this phase is tough, I have to reach within and find strength and comfort so that I am prepared for the future. In this phase of my life I am going to learn patience, perseverance, and strength.

This also reminds me of a quote I read about yoga not that long ago, and it has come to mean a lot to me. I'm even thinking of getting a tattoo of it. Hopefully, if any of this made sense to anyone, this quote will mean something to you too.

Here there is nothing to fight 
Except willfulness. 
Some lean too far 
Into the past. 
Others stretch way out 
Into the future. 
The true warrior 
Stays in the moment, 
Burning deeper 
Into whatever comes. 
Or sometimes with 
Even more difficulty, 
What doesn't.

~Leza Lowitz

No comments:

Post a Comment